Skip to Content

Is Your Rental Property a Potential Hazard to Your Tenants?

Pittsburgh Tenant Looking at Mold in His Rental HomeIt’s critical for you as a Pittsburgh property manager that your tenants feel secure and at home in their rental property. Providing for a tenant’s safety can lower vacancies and improve the cash flow of the rental. However, some potentially dangerous conditions can arise without your knowledge if you don’t take extra precautions. Let’s look at five of the most prevalent home dangers that, if ignored, could render your tenants gravely ill or even dead. To help ensure that your rental property does not pose a hazard to your tenants, it is essential to be aware of common household hazards and how to avoid them.

Toxic Mold

When a food source, such as cardboard or paper, is present, molds grow in moist areas. The first sign that most people typically notice when mold is present is typically its musty smell. There are multiple sorts of mold, the majority of which are unsightly but generally harmless to humans. On the other hand, Stachybotrys, or black mold, can be poisonous. This could cause allergic reactions, respiratory distress, and in severe cases anaphylactic shock.

The good news is that it’s not too difficult to stop mold from developing in a rental property. Using an exhaust fan in steamy bathrooms, letting the house air out, and installing a dehumidifier in the basement can help prevent mold on your property. Think about instructing your tenants on mold prevention and assisting them in comprehending the risks. Regularly looking for mold in your home is another important step. If the worst should happen and you discover black mold, it’s vital to contact a professional right away who can safely remove it and handle the problem that caused the moisture that led to the mold in the first place.


Asbestos is unquestionably a significant issue, particularly for older rental properties. Asbestos is relatively harmless so long as it is contained within walls or other enclosed areas and is not disturbed. If the walls of your rental property contain asbestos, you must make sure that your tenant is aware that they must not drill holes or make any other kind of openings in the walls, not even to hammer in a nail. Even tiny gaps could allow asbestos to enter the house and lead to cancer such as mesothelioma.

Only trained specialists should remove asbestos. You should not attempt to remove it on your own or let a tenant do it in order to avoid injury and diseases associated with asbestos exposure.

Lead Poisoning

Older rental properties may also contain lead, which is a potentially dangerous substance. In older homes, lead paint was frequently used before it was outlawed in 1978. Even if you have painted over the old paint, lead-based paint can flake off as the home ages, exposing your tenants, their children, and their pets to a toxic substance. In certain areas, lead poisoning can also come from old pipes.

You should have the plumbing and water in your rental property thoroughly inspected for lead to prevent lead poisoning. It’s also a good idea to have your paint tested and removed by experts trained to do so safely if your property was constructed prior to 1978. The only way to ensure that your tenants are safe from lead is to completely remove the old paint from all impacted surfaces, even though painting over lead paint is a temporary workaround.


In the United States, house fires are an all-too-common occurrence. Additionally, home fires can, unfortunately, be fatal. 2,620 civilians perish in home fires each year, which total more than 346,000 annually. While dryer lint is the main cause of fires that start in the laundry room, oil and other ingredients contribute to cooking fires. Faulty appliances, electrical problems, and unattended candles are additional significant causes of home fires.

Several precautions should be taken to prevent fires in your rental property. First, do all you can to ensure that your rental property is devoid of electrical issues, and have the dryer vent sanitized annually. Second, instruct your tenants about fire safety and furnish them with essentials like fire extinguishers and functional smoke detectors. By adhering to these easy steps, you can drastically reduce the risk that your rental property will catch fire.

Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide is an additional frequent household hazard. Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas produced by the combustion of fuels such as wood, propane, gasoline, and charcoal. Carbon monoxide can accumulate in an enclosed space and cause carbon monoxide poisoning if the engines and appliances that use these fuels are not properly ventilated. Mild carbon monoxide poisoning can result in headaches, nausea, vision blurring, and confusion. In severe cases, carbon monoxide poisoning can lead to permanent tissue damage or even death.

Through proper maintenance and tenant education, carbon monoxide poisoning may be avoided. If you have any fireplaces or appliances that use any of the above-mentioned fuels, it is essential to service them regularly. Install carbon monoxide detectors as well so that you and your tenants are made aware of any potential risks throughout your rental property. Help your tenants understand that they should never leave a car running or use a propane device in an enclosed space if your rental property has a garage or if they have a propane grill or heater on the premises. Providing your tenants with a basic education in safety may prevent them from getting sick or worse.

It takes effort and time to ensure the health and safety of your tenants. Why not rely on professionals? At Real Property Management Keystone, our comprehensive property management and tenant relations programs are designed to keep your property and tenants safe. Call us at 412-385-2300 to learn more about our services, or contact us online today!

We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.

The Neighborly Done Right Promise

The Neighborly Done Right Promise ® delivered by Real Property Management, a proud Neighborly company

When it comes to finding the right property manager for your investment property, you want to know that they stand behind their work and get the job done right – the first time. At Real Property Management we have the expertise, technology, and systems to manage your property the right way. We work hard to optimize your return on investment while preserving your asset and giving you peace of mind. Our highly trained and skilled team works hard so you can be sure your property's management will be Done Right.

Canada excluded. Services performed by independently owned and operated franchises.

See Full Details